Parent Forum minutes 10th November 2017

1. Welcome and introductions
We all introduced ourselves and gave a special welcome to new members of the Forum.

2. Terms of Reference
These need more preparation and considerable time spent on them and will be deferred for discussion to a future meeting.

3. WhatsApp Groups - Guidelines
Due to recent events, the Whatsapp groups are all currently suspended while we clarify the way forward.

We were asked to consider first whether we wish to continue with WhatsApp Groups at all.
Positives
• overwhelming percentage of uses are positive and appropriate
• helps working parents who are not in the playground be involved and in the know
• assists smooth running of the school - clubs, uniforms, 10p etc... etc.. as per summary of uses list on the guideline document
• more helpful than harmful
• can maintain the good and mitigate the risk by robust and comprehensive guidelines

Concerns
• it’s a public forum and can’t be regulated
• there will be mistakes in what people post
• becoming an onerous and worrying task for reps
• the harmful, though a tiny percentage of posts, does enormous damage

Alternatives
• email groups - would encourage more deliberate contributions of serious issues and would be sent only to the admin person - less responsive and useful for the small stuff
• Telegram - an app which is similar to Whatsapp but which is more secure and allows removal of posts by the group admin - requires parents to get new app and poss won’t check it as much as Whatsapp

We voted by a large majority in favour of keeping the WhatsApp groups.

Secondly we were asked to consider what is needed in the guidelines for these groups. Kate will work with Mrs Cohen to revise the draft guidelines document and then bring this back to the forum for further comment and input. The following points were raised for consideration and inclusion in the guidelines:
• Values - statement of values of the school should be included, respect in particular as the foundation of the school ethos
• Clarity and explicit guidance on what is inappropriate - no assumptions can be made
• Clarity of reasons for exclusion
• Concern for the reps who have to administer this that it does not place too great a burden on them
• clear procedure for how inappropriate posts should be handled including, not commenting on the group, reporting, freezing / shutting down groups when/if an incident occurs
• a shorter tolerance for inappropriate use - parents must take responsibility for their phones and what they post
• guidelines to be sent out every term
• aim to frame positively
• keep the guidance simple, clear & minimal
• photos / video - disappointment was expressed about losing this use of the groups, but we do not have permissions for this

*** While the Guidelines are redrafted, the groups remain suspended. We hope to have them back up and running soon ***

Update: Kate and Mrs Cohen are working on the new guidelines as a matter of urgency.

4. Lunches
Significant number of complaints and level of concern from parents across several year groups about the quality & quantity of food available to children at lunchtimes.
e.g. salad sandwiches being offered because other items have run out, children coming home super hungry having only had ‘beans’ or ‘nothing’ for lunch. Lack of hot food. Children requesting packed lunches instead. Reports of staff panicking when food has run out.
Lunches were looked at some years ago as a result of feedback from parents. This seems to be a new problem and PF request that this is looked into as a matter of urgency, particularly as we are coming into the winter months when children need a hot lunch and will learn better with a full stomach.

ACTION - Mrs Cohen to raise with Mr Langford and report back to PF.

Update: Mr Langford is checking the dinner choices, particularly towards the end of service each day. While all children are definitely being given food every day, we are looking to extend the choice. More on this to be shared in the newsletter.

5. Health & Hygiene
• Children in the lower years seem to be sharing plastic cups for drinking water in the classrooms
• only 3 toilets available to the girls in the whole school - there is not enough time to use them in the short breaks sometimes - some children having to hold on - risk to health and personal wellbeing as well as ability to concentrate in class

ACTION - Mrs Cohen to raise with Mr Langford and report back to PF.

Update: Children have individual cups in the classrooms which are washed by the staff. However there is an issue of cups being shared at the water coolers. We are looking into a cost-effective and environmentally-friendly solution to this. Any ideas welcome.

Update: We have struggled to get contractors to quote to get the Y2 girls' toilets open again, though the Y1 and Y5/6 toilets are still available. Realistically we hope to have this problem resolved within the next three weeks. We also have secured funding to renovate the Nursery and Reception toilets, making them attractive and with more appropriate sinks and motion-sensor taps.

6. Requesting leave
Occasions of leave requests which went to the school office not having reached Mr Langford. Worth reminding parents of the proper process for this via the newsletter and WhatsApp Groups.

ACTION - Mrs Cohen to request an item clarifying this process for the newsletter please.
- when Whatsapp groups are up and running again, reps to post this information

Update: This has been clarified in the newsletter. Parents are reminded again that leave in term-time is purely for exceptional reasons.

7. Breakfast club
Some interest again in having a breakfast club at school. We were reminded that this has been raised before and significant work went into providing this by Mr Langford but when it came to it, not enough parents chose to use it and so it didn’t go ahead. This was despite seeking expressions of interest from parents first. If we’d like to take this further, PF would need to collate confirmed levels of interest from parents to present to school.

ACTION - PF to consider the best way to obtain not only expressions of interest but actual commitment to a breakfast club

8. Free Reading
Significant number of parents at the coffee morning raised that they feel their child was put onto free reading too early and would have preferred them to remain on a structured reading tree for longer. It has been brought to teachers on an individual basis but seems a wider concern.

ACTION - Mrs Cohen to discuss with Mrs Nash (Literacy coordinator) and report back to PF.

9. Doors opening on time at drop off
Parents ask that the doors are opened promptly at 8.45am for the main school and 8.50am for nursery - many parents must leave quickly after drop off to get to work, children are given a late mark if they are late and so this should be consistent.

ACTION - Mrs Cohen to ask that staff are mindful of the need for this.

Update: As stated in newsletter, this is appreciated and every effort will be made to ensure times are kept to.

10. Playground changes
Changes to what is allowed in the playground applies to the before and after school times. The big tree was removed due to safety concerns and school would be very glad to hear of ideas and plans for the ‘soil circle’.

ACTION - PF to consider and ask parents for their ideas.
ACTION - Kate to make the new PTA aware of this

AOB

11. Parking & Road Safety
• continued concerns regarding inconsiderate and unsafe parking by a minority of parents.
• Hope Chapel allow us use of the car park out of the goodness of their hearts and all due care must be taken to respect their property and kindness.
• Moseley Hall Hospital - have plans to increase car parking on their site - concerns for school are the increase in traffic flow across the hospital entrance on Alcester Road which is already dangerous for pedestrians.
• much progress was made following a fatality some years ago including LED traffic lights, 20mph zone, zigzags, new signage etc.. but there is more to consider.

ACTIONS
• Passes for The Village car park for morning drop offs - Mrs Cohen to find out from Mr Langford whether there are any passes currently available and if so to ask that these be offered to parents.
• A map for the newsletter may be useful to alert parents to the appropriate places available to park - volunteer for this task needed

Parent Forum / PTA coffee morning in aid of Macmillan 29th September 2017 - 8.45 to 10.15am

Parent Forum / PTA coffee morning in aid of Macmillan

29th September 2017 - 8.45 to 10.15am

24 parents attended and the morning was led by Eman Penny and Lior Kaminetsky, co-chairs of the Parent Forum with a presentation on finance by Simone Bryant, Chair of Finance Governors. 

Welcome by Eman and introduction to the role and structure of the Parent Forum. 

Presentation by Simone to continue to raise awareness and increase understanding among parents of the effects of cuts to King Davids funding by central Government. Simone explained the measures that have already had to be taken: reduction in the number of teaching assistants, loss of outdoor education, cuts to music provision, level of lunchtime supervision, loss of withdrawal groups for pupils requiring additional stretch. Parents are asked to consider whether they are able to contribute £1 per school day to protect our remaining level of provision. This can be done by setting up a regular donation via the MyDonate button on the homepage of the school website. If enough of us can do this, the current provision can be maintained and we can reduce the likelihood of further cuts. We could even have some of these important elements reinstated.

Lior introduced himself, gave a special welcome to the Dads in the room and explained his wish for the KD parent community to be a place where parents feel able to raise and discuss issues, even where agreement cannot be reached. 

Lior and Eman gave an overview of recent achievements of the PF e.g. the separate changing facilities for Y5 and Y6 pupils when getting ready for PE, concerns about internet safety and sites such as Roblocks led to the school organising the NSPCC to deliver workshops to both children and parents, changes to the structure of lunchtime prayers to give children more time to eat and play after we raised concerns about this. 

Each parent was asked to say something they like and something they wish were better:

We like: mix of people, friendly faces in the playground, feel happy here, children are keen to come to school, the teachers, the other parents, feeling of warmth, community spirit, WhatsApp groups, warm welcome, parents’ enthusiasm to help school and their children, happy now with this years nursery, children are happy, children are stable and secure, the hugely valuable help from Mrs Owen in her SEN role, multicultural, comfortable from day 1, single form entry, small school, very happy overall, the teachers, multiculture, multi faith, that the children are happy. 

We wish were better: outdoor learning, more parents donating, diversity of clubs on offer, the cuts, lack of breakfast club, free reading happening too early, inappropriate choice of books, less confident since change in security guard - needs to know who is coming in, lack of soap & general hygiene (* Simone will take the hygiene issue to governors), children avoiding using toilets, playground bit drab, handwashing, loss of teaching assistants, attendance - reward system needed, loss of withdrawal groups for extra stretch, small school means we are vulnerable to cuts, outdoor amenity, online payments for dinner money (unclear how much to pay and having to pay every week), communications lost between office and Mr Langford regarding request for leave, child was bored in Y1 but happier in Y2. 

Issues to be brought to the next Parent Forum meeting to raise with our staff rep are:

  • hygiene - access to soap, handwashing facilities in nursery and reception

  • attendance - which is perhaps related to the hygiene item, we as a parent community are asked to consider how we can improve the level of attendance as it is below where it should be. Unauthorisedabsense is the particular problem. 

  • Lunches - Y4 in particular - many concerns about lack of food, cold food, poor quality food

  • breakfast club - is it time to revisit this?

  • playground - change to rules re scooters, ball games, running

PTA - several parents offered to lend a hand with the PTA. Thank you! The full list of PF yeargroup reps will be announced soon and the board in the school entrance updated. 

Parent Forum Minutes 3.4.2017

King David Parent Forum Coffee morning
3rd April 2017

PF members present: Fiona Owen (staff rep), Eman Penny and Lior Kaminetsky (co-chairs), Kate Panagamuwa (secretary), Rofiza Begum (nursery rep), Sadia Ahmed (Y2 rep), Samantha Bushell (Y5 rep)

Two parents (nursery and Y1) attended.

Summer Fayre 2017 Date - 9th July 2017.

Organising group - Louise Fenton (Y1 rep), Sadia Ahmed (Y2 rep) and Kate Panagamuwa (Secretary) will form a core group and will be delegating tasks and asking for volunteers to help on the day too.

Theme - Big Bang Summer Fayre or Bangs and Bubbles or similar to continue the science activities the children have had this year.

Ideas for Activities -
Face painting, mendhi, nail art.
Craft activities - painting egg cups / flower pots
Bouncy castle - ask Natali
5 a side football
Tug of war
Archery
Animal Man - company who bring animals for the children to meet
Teddy, bottles and toy tombola
Sandpit
Year 6 throw sponges
Gunge the Headteacher
Remote control car obstacle course
ball pit
Bubbles
Balloon modelling

Food -
Cupcakes
Popcorn
Tuck shop
Ice cream
Decorate biscuits
NB: We may be able to use the kitchen in the Nest on the Friday before, with Mrs Halter to supervise for making cupcakes or other items in advance.

Decorations - bunting / balloons

AOB
Roblocks – as a safeguarding issue, this is considered acceptable by school as it is al-lowed through the BGFL filter which screens out inappropriate content. We remain con-cerned at the use of a site which in an online community. FO and Parent Forum to explore with BGFL to raise this concern.
NSPCC workshops on internet safety - these will run in July for the children and there will be a workshop for parents on 18th July at 9am in the Nest.

Y4 lunchtimes - following concerns raised by Parent FOrum, FO has thoroughly looked at this. It seems that the difficult with the shortage of time is combination of children being delayed in starting to eat by prayers and then wanting to get out to play. Rabbi Jacobs will be reviewing lunchtime prayers to see if anything can be done to ease this.

Hygiene - PSCHE lessons will include reminders and discussion around hygiene and handwashing. Funding has been applied for to change the toilets and washbasins in the nursery and reception classrooms as the current taps are too stiff to use for some of the children. Hopefully this will have a positive effect on attendance.

Eid - Many parents seem unaware that absence for Eid must be asked for. The correct process for this needs to be communicated to parents so that they know what to do.
Items to go in the newsletter and information via WhatsApp groups nearer the time.

Bullying - there have been some issues of bullying. An item has already been in the newsletter to explain the proper process for parents if they are concerned about their child.
FO to explore training, such as Confident Communicators,to help children learn to re-solve these issues well. Play leaders are also on hand to help lead games at play times. Staff has been made aware of the particular dynamic of older children in an extended family trying to support younger children by confronting other children and the upset this can cause.