250 Alcester Road, Moseley, B13 8EY 0121 449 3364 enquiry@kingdavid.bham.sch.uk

SEN information report


The new Special Educational Needs and Disability code of practice 0-25 years was published in June 2014. It gives statutory guidance for organisations who work with and support children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. All children are entitled to an education that enables them make the best progress that they can.
At King David we are committed to supporting all children with special educational needs and disabilities.
Birmingham Education Authority has a new 'Local Offer' which sets out the services available for all pupils in Birmingham and we are part of that offer.

Local Offer Birmingham | SEND Advice and Information

Here are the answers to some questions you might have about the support you and your child can expect to receive at King David Primary.

Question 1: Who can I talk to about special educational needs at King David?

Mrs Fiona Owen is the Special Needs Coordinator (SENCo) and can be contacted through the school office (0121 449 3364) or by email at (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)

Question 2: What kind of special educational provision is made at King David?

King David is an inclusive mainstream school and we welcome all children with special educational needs and disabilities and provide for them in the best way that we can.

Question 3: How do you identify and assess pupils with special educational needs and disabilities at King David?

We use a variety of ways to identify special needs, some of these may include:
• observations by the teaching staff
• information from the child, parents and carers
• school based assessments
• assessments carried out by members of the school's support services.

Question 4: Where can I find the school Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Policy?

The Special Educational Needs Policy is in the policies section of this website, just click on Policies. The policy gives detailed information about how we support pupils with special educational needs including:
• How we evaluate the effectiveness of our teaching
• How we review progress for pupils with special needs
• Our approach to teaching pupils with special needs
• How we adapt the curriculum and learning environment
• Additional support for learning
• How we promote inclusiveness
• Support available for pupil's emotional, mental and social development.

Question 5: How are teachers trained to teach pupils with special needs?

All teaching staff receive regular training on various types of special educational needs for example 'Autism Awareness', 'Creating a Communication Friendly Classroom' and 'Dealing with Dyslexia' However because we are a mainstream school we are not 'experts' and sometimes we have to call on the help of the support services to provide us with specialist advice.

Question 6: What if my child needs specialist equipment and facilities?

We make all reasonable adjustments possible to support pupils with SEND. We can usually provide most types of specialist equipment, sometimes working in partnership with Occupational Therapy Services. We have a designated wash and changing room for pupils with care plans due to medical needs.
We do not have a lift to access upper floors.

Question 7: How do you involve parents in the education of their child?

We like to work in partnership with parents and you are always welcome to meet us to talk about your child, just go to or phone the office to arrange a convenient meeting time with your child's teacher or the SENCO. Parents evenings and special educational needs review meetings are held regularly.

Question 8: Will my child have a say?

Yes, all pupils at King David are involved in setting and evaluating their own targets. We have a pupil council who are very active in supporting children's rights.

Question 9: What if I have a complaint about my child's education?

Complaints are normally dealt with by the Head Teacher who can usually sort out any problems. The SEND policy gives more information about more formal complaint procedures.

Question 10: How do you access specialist help from support services?

We have to have parental consent for any referrals. We then have a meeting and usually fill in referral forms together so that everyone's point of view is included.
The SENCO will keep you informed and give you feedback from support services at review meetings.
Support Services include:
• Pupil and School Support who help children with learning difficulties
• Educational Psychology Services
• Communication and Autism Team
• Speech and Language Therapy
• Physical Difficulties Team
• Sensory Support Service
• Occupational Therapy

Question 11: How do you support pupils with special educational needs when they transfer to a new school?

The SENCO arranges a meeting with the SENCO of the receiving school, the parents and the child, where all issues can be discussed to ensure a smooth transition. We can also arrange visits to the new school where necessary.

Question 12: Where can I find out more about the Local Offer?

Go to www.birmingham.gov.uk/send

If you have any more questions please contact us.